The Porirua Community Arts Council had its beginning in the 1970's as one of many community arts councils set up under the aegis of the then Queen Elizabeth II Arts Council of New Zealand, now known as Creative New Zealand.
When the legislation under which we were established was changed, we were one of the community arts councils which re-established themselves as incorporated societies to continue working in their communities. Our objectives remained basically the same, to foster the practice and appreciation of the arts in Porirua City.
It is not possible to list here all the Porirua Community Arts Council's achievements, but some highlights have been:
- Running Porirua's first comprehensive exhibitions of the work of local artists, before the City had a public art museum.
- The establishment of PAGE90 (now Pataka Art+Museum) and running it for four years until the City was able to take it over as a going concern.
- The purchase of the concert quality grand piano which is now located in Pataka Art+Museum so that a suitable instrument is available for public performances in our city.
- The inauguration of the Festival of the Elements in 1992 and its growth into both Porirua's biggest annual event and, apart from special years at Waitangi, New Zealand's largest Waitangi Day celebration which has been attended by every Governor-General since Dame Catherine Tizard.
- The provision of early performance opportunities for local musicians, actors and dancers as well as exhibitions, commissions and scholarships for visual artists and events for writers. Some of these have gone on to become well-established professionally.
Together we'll go on from here to create and enjoy the arts and artists in Porirua.
Contact Information for PCAC
Mobile: 021 263 9844
Deputy Chairperson & Treasurer:
To be advised
Porirua Community Arts Council Inc., PO Box 50-653, Porirua City 5240.